Big plans? Fancy gifts? Sleeping in and not doing anything all day?
Not so much.
I've always been a scrambler when it comes to gift giving. Oh, is graduation today? Better grab a card. Hmm, a birthday...had the gift for a week but still haven't gotten a bag.
My mom knows and probably expects this of me :) she knows I love her by my time spent with her, my frequent phone calls, and my never ending 'I Love You!'s.
I sometimes felt like it wasn't enough.
But, I'm a mother now, and I understand things now that I never did!
When W came into my life I understood how you could love something the size of a pea, how you could love someone you'd never met, how you could miss someone that was in the same room because someone else was holding them...as she's grown I've discovered so much more! The way you wake up to check their breathing, the way you talk to everyone else like they've never even seen a baby because it simply wasn't your baby, and the way home truly is where your heart is because it's where your sleeping baby is waiting for you!
So, as I tuck W into bed (an hour early so she can get a good nights sleep before her big day) I simply stare at her...I'll still wipe a butt tomorrow, I'll still deal with a grump at some point I'm sure, I doubt I'll make it to church without something on me, but would I want a day any other way? Absolutely not. For it is Mother's Day, and these are the things that make me 'mom'.
I know she can't say it yet, but it beats out any other title I've had. And simply having her in my life is the best give I'll ever receive from her and maybe she won't understand that until she's a mom. I hope she the joy of having a daughter some day, I'm a bit biased, but I've never know a love so deep! My mom was loved by an amazing mother, my grandmother had a truly amazing daughter...I learned how to be the mother I am today from the best example in the world, in my opinion. I know W will have great relationships with the amazing women in her life like I did growing up. Even if they aren't 'moms'. Maybe that's the point of Mother's Day...love, from the women in our life, be they daughter, aunt, sister, cousin, friend, grandma, granddaughter, you name it.
So, to all the women in my life Happy Mother's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment